nafex - Re: [nafex] Hawthorn

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Hawthorn
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:12:11 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Wouldn't that be something for the front yard... A fruit tree with pears,
apples and roses, if you could get the correct compatability.

Talk about demand for such a tree.

Interesting thought, but I am sure the chances are slim for the success of
reworking of a Hawthorn in this manner.

Tom

--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Hardiness Zone 6a

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 PermacultureNo1@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/15/00 8:32:24 AM, tolenio@sentex.net writes:
>
> << Hello,
>
> What exactly is a Hawthorn? Is a wild thorned apple a Hawthorn?
>
> Is Hawthorn a word of various meanings?
>
> Regards,
> Tom >>
>
> Hawthorn commonly refers to genus Crataegus. It is a huge genus and in
> process of speciation, so there is controversy about where one species
> stops
> and another begins. The hawthorns tend to be pioneer shrubs that often
> occupy difficult sites. They are, of course, members of the rose family,
> and
> pomes, closely related to apple, pear, quince, etc. How about
> compatibility
> with Loquat grafts? Anyone tried that?
>
> DH

eGroups eLerts