nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: pear rootstocks

  • From: "del stubbsrockyman" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: pear rootstocks
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 04:01:38 GMT

>From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: pear rootstocks
>Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 08:36:18 -0800
>
>There is variation in compatibility on hawthorn. The native Crataegus
>douglasii here seems to accept most pears, but other species may not. It
>might be necessary to use an interstem such as Old Home on such species. I
>don't have the old article on disk - it was written in pre-processor days.
>-Lon Rombough
>-

Last year I tried grafting centennial and several unknown apples onto our
local hawthorns- the centennial stuck and one unknown, then the deer got to
them this fall ( i had stripped away most of the hawthorns vegatation to
force the graft,thus a dirth of those wonderful barbs)
Has anyone sucessfully grafted any apples into producton on hawthorn?
I'll be trying a couple dozen nova pear next year on hawthorn, and saving
those thorns! del, n. minnesota
---------