nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Alternate Tools (or) On the cheap.

  • From: DocKW@aol.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Alternate Tools (or) On the cheap.
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:21:46 EST

Sorry guys, You have the magnetic properties of the various steels reversed.
A super shiney surgical stainless will NOT stick to a magnet. A "lesser
quality"
stainless will exhibit some magnetic properties; a high carbon stainless will
likely stick even more since you can't get carbon into a totally non ferrous
stainless steel.
This all relates to their intended uses. A blade likely should contain some
iron so it will harden and hold an edge...but will stain more. I use
stainless scalpels which are sharp at the get-go ,but the really good ones
are mostly carbon steel and are not stainless.
If you have pots that don't stick to a magnet, they are the quality you seek
in a pot for processing fruits....they are the " high quality"
stainless....with no iron.
I find that I can still taste the metal in the final product if left any
amount of time
(such as overnight to cool)...so remove the processed fruit to a glass
container as soon as possible.
Karl Olson

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/974294521/