nafex - Re: [nafex] viburnam trilobam

  • From: "Dan & Marilyn Mason" <dmason@rainyriver.lakeheadu.ca>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] viburnam trilobam
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:10:37 -0500

Del,

Welcome to the list. I live just up the road from you, in southern
NW Ontario, where we're lucky to be in zone 3 (about 20 miles to
our north it seems to change to zone 2). There is quite a bit of
highbush cranberry in the bush around here. It has beautiful
flowers in the spring. The fruit are pretty tart for eating,
though, like concentrated lemon juice.

We've had more luck with raspberries than any other kinds of fruit
we've tried. Most of our red raspberries have been Boyne, but this
year I bought 6 canes of SK Red Mammoth red raspberries (developed
at U. of Saskatchewan). It's too early to tell much about them
from a few berries on the stumps of canes we planted this spring,
but the berries were slightly larger than Boyne and less acid or
tart than Boyne.

For black raspberries, Wyoming is the only one we've tried that
the canes don't die back in the winter.

For apples, or apple-crabs, Osman seems to be one of the hardiest
here, but it tends to bear biennially, and is small.

We grow our raspberries unfenced. They are one of the last plants
to lose their leaves this time of year. Deer come at night and eat
all the leaves from the raspberry canes. Sometimes I worry they
are eating next years buds as well, but they don't seem to hurt
the canes. They always bear well the following summer.

Grafted apple trees nearby the raspberries don't fare as well
unfenced. They are continually eaten and stunted and never bear
fruit.

Dan Mason zone 3, NW Ontario, Canada

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/15/_/423498/_/972666953/