nafex - Re: [nafex] Chip budding

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Chip budding
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 21:02:01 -0700

Title: Chip budding
Brian,

Definitely take Ed Fackler up on his offer ... you must live just outside of his heaven!!

I bud into this year's wood about 6" from the ground.  I try not put the new bud exactly where the growth started this year because there will be a lot of auxin in that area, but 2 or 3" above where the new growth started should be fine and 4 or 5" will be even better.

You didn't mention what the rootstock was ... dwarfing?   Remember that the higher the graft, the more dwarf the tree

If you do a chip bud, the bark of the rootstock will more closely match the bark of the bud you are putting on and you can make a better match of cambium to cambium.

Now if your new growth is really whippy and furry i.e. result of rapid growth in last couple of months, you may be better off going into old wood.

What type of graft was the first one?     bud?  whip and tongue?

How far from ground?

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase  email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove,  B. C.,  Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
Home web page  http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
Yes, the new growth is about 2 feet and more.  I take it, then, by your question that I would be grafting on this years' wood rather that the older wood that the benchgrafts were grafted onto.  It would seem to me, though, that the new growth would be extremely fragile to cut into.

Brian