nafex - [nafex] Green Gage Plums

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Green Gage Plums
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 14:06:29 -0700

Lon,

I agree absolutely about Greengage plum. I'm going to delete my tree this
year.
Greengage is very susceptible to disease(s) in rainy PNW. I'm also having
second
thoughts about Bradshaw. And I'm running out of patience waiting for Italian
Prune and Victoria to fruit. On both IP and Victoria I have lots of
blossoms, but
no fruit. They bloom at about the same time and both are supposed to be
self-fertile. Now maybe my Victoria is not really a Victoria ... maybe it's a
Japanese plum and that's why no fruit on either 'Victoria' or IP.

The plum I grafted as a Stanley has turned out to be a Methley!! Stanley
would
have bloomed at the same time as IP and is a good pollenizer.

The Stanley/Methley is very heavily loaded with fruit and bears every year.
It
took me about four years from planting to realize that it was not a Stanley,
and
another three years to identify it as a Methley.

Another heavy bearer in my orchard is Early Gold (Japanese) ... not quite
ripe as
I write.

Part of the problem is cold wet weather at bloom time. This year the early
and
mid-season plum bloomers got great weather, but the late bloomers shivered.

However, it's been a great raspberry (Tulameen), tayberry, black currant
(Black
Reward), red currant (Jonkheer van Tets), and blueberry (Olympia and Norland)
season.

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Home web page http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

: In most texts, authors rave about green gage plums. I'm grown a number of
: them over the years and frankly, I've not been impressed. On top of
that, the
fruit was more
: susceptible to brown rot and cracking than regular Prunus domestica. Am I
: missing something, or is my taste just at odds with that of the people who
: write about them?
: -Lon Rombough
:

Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive
chemistry experiments.
http://click.egroups.com/1/8013/0/_/423498/_/966719311/