msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Transport via horse

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Finkle" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Transport via horse
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:21:56 -0400

I agree; if a subject states "no" to equine evacuation; or if C-spine
injuries are probable; or if exposed bones or/and bleeding is present, then
"no" it is. Training is the paramount key to this skill, just as important
is deciding in advance "not" to use this skill in the field. If everyone
was scared (including the equines) during your experiments with mounted
evacuation, then it's a good thing that your team identified those
limitations in advance.

All MSAR teams need to understand that mounted evacuation is not a whim or
stunt; it is a specialized skill that when conditions warrant such a tool,
needs to be performed by confident well trained personnel and MSAR equines.

T'mi
www.trotsar.org