msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Transport via horse

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "John-Faye Neff" <neffj@msn.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Transport via horse
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 08:43:51 -0700

As a person who does a lot of back country packing I can safely say that the horse (or mule) used to transport an injured subject needs to very well trained.  Most pack animals will know their sides and how to get around obstacles while packed.  BUT that getting around or over obstacles may not be the best for an injured person.  Very few animals are used to being led on foot and will create problems if they have not had recent experience in doing so.  When being led  from horseback most pack animals will occasionally trot to keep up. Again not the best.  Perhaps a goal for a horse being used to transport an injured person would be the dead broke dude horse that just follows the tail in front and can't be made to break out of the slow plodding walk.  I am willing to admit that I wouldn't have such an animal in my string, but it would be wonderful to have one in an emergency.
I agree with Una, how often will you be called upon to do this?  Are you willing to practice and train monthly for something that may occur rarely.  I find that even my experienced pack animals need a day to remember how to handle the trail, even a trail that they have been on before.  The first day on the trail always offers at least one interesting challenge. LOL
Faye