msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training, Technology and Stats

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training, Technology and Stats
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 00:04:16 -0400

Irv,

That sounds very impressive! I realize you have a newly organized MSAR team that is almost a few years old now and was wondering how many actual SAR deployments has your team responded to?

T'mi
www.trotsar.org

IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN wrote:

It is common practice to debrief and critique all operations. We use public
event coverage as command training-- prospective operations and planning
persons complete their schooling by running safety coverage at a ride,
walkathon, horse show or a complete training exercise and afterward every
move is examined to see what went right, wrong, or would have been done
differently by someone else.
We write state mandated safety plans for all events and have at least an EMT
present at all training, especially if exposure to unusual sounds (sirens)
or emergency vehicle lights is planned.
Currently our technology is limited in the field. We use 150 MHz public
safety radios to talk to the DCNR, PA State Police, USCG, and other agencies
in that band. PA SAR Council members operate on 150 as well. We also have
access to the county's former 150 fire system which is still up for voice
dispatch. There are 2 800 MHz trunk units which enable us to talk to all
emergency services in our home county and EOC's in any area on 800 via
mutual aid channels. We can request county comm vans if needed. Mobile data
units connected to the county CAD and Knowledge Center are available for
installation only in company owned apparatus at present. Knowledge Center
is supported by common web access as well through 5 regional county EOC's.
We have a grant application pending for a laptop and map printer.

Our alerting is done primarily by digital alphanumeric pager activated by
the county EOC. Backup is R-SAN, a contract service provided by the region
(5 counties) for sending out weather alerts, Amber Alerts, pandemic
warnings, etc. Members subscribe and can receive general alerts as well as
organization alerts via text, e-mail, fax, etc. General messages are sent by e-mail. We also have a voice mail box that can
be accessed by members to hear announcements and leave messages. Cell phone
coverage is fairly decent here in civilization as an ultimate backup.
When the PA SAR Council was formed it was agreed that all members would
submit the NASAR mission report for all activities to the council where they
would be compiled and copies forwarded to NASAR. The Office of State Fire
Commissioner has since mandated that the PENNFIRS (NFIRS) reporting system
be used by fire rescue organizations but only the first in has to file (the
others just check the "gave aid" box). The Health Department has an
electronic run sheet for the EMS people to use, and the cops use other forms
so trying to maintain a data collection effort is a hodge podge. The new PA
Public Records Act also limits what an agency can disclose voluntarily, so
most are waiting for court cases over individual case reports versus
aggregated statistics. And few jurisdictions have more than 1 search per
year.
Training locales include all the state parks in the region. Many of these
were acquired as flood mitigation projects in the 1972-78 era. We also have
unlimited access to several county parks and trail systems. The national
park is becoming more difficult as seed free/weed free is required and the
parking areas are being rebuilt and moved. Their definition of an event
requiring a permit is also open to interpretation. We are working to
increase access to the Fairmount Park System which is limited by lack of
trailer parking at the trailheads. The cost of fuel has raised considerable
concern as many of our members are self employed, unemployed, or retired and
hauling a hundred miles to a training site gets expensive. PA SART
subsidizes Large Animal Rescue Training annually (approximately $150 per
person for 4 days).

All our SOG's and administrative documents are available on a CD and one is
sent to all new members along with other related material. We have access to
the regional fire academy's facilities and classes, and have used private
farms for fundraisers as well as activities.