msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Best Practices

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Best Practices
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 20:16:15 -0400

Pam,

The tax credit only apples to our (active) team members with 3 or more years of service that live in the state of Maryland (MD). Team members must be active and also earn enough points to qualify. Although we are incorporated in MD as a tax exempt non-profit Mounted Rescue Squad, we still had to be approved for the credit by the folks at the State Capitol. We must also submit a team roster of active members who meet the requirement to the State Fire Administration every year; who in turn submits a list of all rescues squad, fire department and EMS organizations back to the State Capitol for their verification. Sadly if a maryland team incorporates as a "Search Team" only and does not have "Rescue and Squad" in their charter, they will likely not get approved for the credit (They ust also provide 24/7 service and not a seasonal rescue resource; this happen to a Ski Patrol Search Team in western MD who was denied the credit). The credit also applies to any Police/Ranger Volunteer in the State. Different States have different credit guidelines. If you need more details about the MD regulations please feel free to email me off list.

PS: Irv is another good source for (SAR) tax credit information for PA teams.

T'mi

Pamela Ogg wrote:

T'mi
How do you get the tax credit?