msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training, Technology and Stats

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training, Technology and Stats
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 08:56:59 -0400

I am familiar with the "out of towners" search you referenced. I was under the impression that the search mission continued because there had not been a find. According to our AAR it was the (local) Unified Incident Command (the AHJ who requested those "out of area" resources) wanted search operations to continue, not because the out of towners wanted to play.

One likely explanation for the reduction of search missions is your area could be due to the change in land usage. Excluding the NW region of your 90 mile radius and according to demographic conversion of land usage for that region; over 75% of the (privately owned) rural land, where wilderness types searches were once conducted in 1979, has been converted to mixed use urban and suburban properties.
T'mi
www.trotsar.org

IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN wrote:

On the public record there have been no field deployments of either the dog
team or us since 2005 in the region. There have been 2 cancellations for
institutional walk a ways who were located by the fire company (same one,
same institution) as they arrived. (.......)

It is odd because from 1979 to 1995, the period for which detailed
statistics were available in 2005, there were 12 field deployments per year
in a 90 mile radius, lasting mostly from 18 to 36 hours initially. One
lasted 72 hours but this was primarily because out of towners were involved
and wanted to play in an interstate, multi-agency environment.