msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Best Practices

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Pamela Ogg" <hoofbeat@columbus.rr.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Best Practices
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 19:40:30 -0400

T'mi

How do you get the tax credit?
Thanks for any info. you can share.
Pam
COMSU

-----Original Message-----
From: msar-riders-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:msar-riders-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of T'mi Fi
Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2009 8:03 AM
To: Jorene@CEOates.com; Mounted search and rescue

Jorene,

You are correct! At the suggestion of our team's lawyer, we
implemented the (FEMA online courses) requirements as a way to actually
reduced the potential for liability issues. About the worse thing that
could happen while a person is taking online training is that they could
break a fingernail on the keyboard. Because the person is not (yet) a
member of the team even basic first aid and CPR training is the
liability burden is on the Red Cross (or other first aid training
provider).

Once a person becomes a team trainee we can use those perquisites to
show a good faith effort on our part that indicates each applicant
should be suited to begin the process for the (volunteer) mounted
responder position they applied for. It is at that time when our team
provides formal (no or low cost) certified SAR training, first responder
(first aid) training and other related public safety training that is
conducted by government law enforcement , fire, EMS, public safety or
emergency management agencies. About the only training we have not been
able to obtain at a low cost is the Technical Large Animal Emergency
Rescue (TLAER) course. Thankfully our team's certified TLAER
coordinators were able to fund themselves and deduct the cost and
related expense on their tax return.

We are registered and incorporated in the State of Maryland as a Search
& Rescue Squad and are 501(c)3 tax exempt non-profit response team (not
a VOAD origination). In addition to MSAR related tax deductions, our
active Maryland team members with 3 or years of service with the team
receive a $3500 dollar tax credit each year that helps offset their time
and expenses.

T'mi
www.trotsar.org