msar-riders - [MSAR] Best Practices / Callout in Madision County VA

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Best Practices / Callout in Madision County VA
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 22:01:25 -0700

As Tomi' indicated, asking folks to demonstrate commitment up front is a
good way to weed out folks who show up thinking all they need to do is sign
up and later show up on a SAR. I know of some other SAR / MSAR units who
require certain training prior to being eligible to join the organization.
In some cases the requirement is to attend the local SAR Academy, which is
usually at least 40 hours. I like TROT's approach of requiring completion of
available outside training first, such as certain online FEMA courses, etc.

Jorene Downs
SAR & CERT
Mounted SAR
www.ceoates.com/msar