msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR horse - barefoot vs. being shod

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Susan Wright <owright@internetpro.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR horse - barefoot vs. being shod
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:45:41 -0600

In my experience, my barefoot arab could go places on SAR missions that shod horses could not.  Over tornado-flattened chain link fencing is a great example.  Three months ago I took the shoes off my 28-yr-old who has always been shod and he is doing great so far.  I am prepared, however, to use boots on him or even have him re-shod if he shows lameness or any other problems.  As most have already said: a 'case by case basis'; no two horses (or horse feet) are exactly the same.
There is a private mounted security force that I know of that does require shoes on all equines.  I think that is as narrow-minded as saying that all horses can easily go barefoot!
Susan

LANA BLAND wrote:
BLU130-W46C3A1900189ACBBC8AE47A9B30@phx.gbl" type="cite"> Thank you everyone for all the very good feedback on this very controversial subject.

The terrain in our area ranges all across the board with a little bit of everything.  My riding terrain for the past 35 years has been split between mountain trails (rocky & soft dirt), range land moving cattle, arenas, sandy beaches, and paved roads for parades. Up until the past few years I kept my livestock shod reguarly only for lack of not having knowledge of any other way.

At the time I joined our SAR group (about 4-5 yrs ago) I didn't think twice about the shoes requirement because it was the norm for me.  However a couple years ago a dear freind of mine started learning and using the natural barefoot methods on her horses and has been extremely successful.  When I bought my stud horse 10 years ago he was lame after being trimmed by learning college students or so I was told. I have a different opinion.  Anyhoo I knew my farrier was good and could correct him to be sound enough for riding as well as breeding, however we were never able to leave him barefoot in front after that.  My friend started working on him last year with the natural barefoot method and he has been doing great. He even moves better when being ridden. Even the broodmares are doing better with this method.

So now I'm seriously considering the barefoot method for my two saddle horses that I have certified for SAR. We don't have a high number of searches in our area so only having been on 2 searches with him in the past 5 years doesn't really warrent the cost. My Canadian horse has awesome feet and to spend $680 a year for shoes vs. $280 for natural trimming, plus it being healthier for his feet makes it tough for me to consider keeping him shod year round just as a SAR requirement.

I completely agree though that each horse should be a case by case basis as some horses just don't have what it takes to be barefoot and/or the owner needs the knowledge and common sense to know when they need to use the boots, including how to fit them.

Anyhoo I'll quit rambling and thanks again everyone :-)

Lana
"Horses Are Like Potato Chips - you can't have just one."