msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR horse - barefoot vs. being shod

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@verizon.net
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR horse - barefoot vs. being shod
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:33:18 -0600 (CST)

I use my horses barefoot and we ride in pretty rocky mountains. No problems so far. I carry 1 or 2 easy boots just like I did when they were shod. The main thing to remember is that you must stable your horse on the same type of terrain you plan to ride in. If you stable on soft sand their feet will not be tough enough for rocks. Of course if you stable on rocks you can ride on pretty much anything! If you don't have rocks you can make an area around their feeder or water that is thick with pea gravel. The pea gravel will help toughen their feet. AND you must be ready to listen to all the nay sayers who think your horse will go lame- until you prove them wrong and they get quiet! ;-)  It helps if you ride a breed that is notorious for strong feet- I ride Morgans and they have tough hooves. In fact that is what my farrier said that finally put me over the edge - "every time I do your horses I have to sharpen my files 'cuz their feet are like iron!"  So I had an expert teach me how and now I do them. Wish I could find someone else that would - because it's really hard work!!!

Chris