msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR horse - barefoot vs. being shod

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Susan Wright <owright@internetpro.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR horse - barefoot vs. being shod
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 20:41:00 -0600

They were pads of thick rubber between hoof and shoe. No one that I know of used boots, but I think that would have been a good choice, too.  As it turned out they really weren't necessary as the roads and other areas the horses patrolled had already been cleared and swept clean for vehicles.
The only thing I would do differently is to evaluate the situation myself and determine if I really wanted to put my horse through it. It's a hard call since the sheriff's office is over the group and they don't really understand the dangers of certain situations to a horse; that's our job as owners.  In the tornado search, we were among the first called out to look for victims.  Those who do the calling out sometimes view us as four-legged four-wheelers if you know what I mean. We also had no idea how completely devastating tornado damage can be.  If we thought we could pick our way through the patches of debris, we were wrong.  We were also lucky:)
Susan

Una Smith wrote:
20090222165444.GC1308@att.net" type="cite">
Una Smith wrote:

In a tornado debris field, I think I would want not only hoof boots,
but a steel plate inside the boot.  I would be concerned about nail
punctures.

Susan Wright wrote:

You are absolutely right! In that instance we didn't have a choice or
the chance to prepare. Later a group went to MS to help after hurricane
Katrina and several put pads on their horses.

See the value of MSAR-Riders?  We can learn from the experiences of
others.  So, did pads do the trick?  Pads between hoof and shoe?  Pads
of what material?   What would that group do differently next time?