msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR horse - barefoot vs. being shod

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR horse - barefoot vs. being shod
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 20:11:38 -0500

My experience with debris fields seconds Una's thoughts. Working dismounted
with steel toes and insoles is dangerous enough, and w2e usually add Kevlar
reinforced clothing. When people start swinging chain saws and other tools
it get horrendous. My brother spent 10 days with a DMAT in Texas after a
storm and all he saw where tool related injuries (chain saws and axes
mostly), no storm trauma. If you want to work disaster scenes mounted--
join the cops on the perimeter. Damage to a dog paw is regrettable, but
fixable. A nail in the wrong place can disable a horse for life.

Irv Lichtenstein