msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR horse - barefoot vs. being shod

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR horse - barefoot vs. being shod
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 20:46:19 -0800 (PST)

I agree with most all of you and wish I had horses with great feet, but one is an older TB who had an old pedal bone fracture in a front foot and mild navicular syndrome before I adopted him for the posse and to see if he could do MSAR.  He is serviceably sound with shoes AND pads on the front and can go barefoot behind to keep costs down.  We use ice studs or borium in the cold months for traction esp. on pavement.  I keep a pair of boots and neoprene pastern protectors in the event he loses a front shoe until the farrier can come.

Our other horse is a thin-soled QH who clearly is uncomfortable on most any surface but soft ground without front shoes.  He has tolerated being barefoot behind while in pasture or work in a soft arena, but walks on gravel as though on hot coals.  I put Cavallo boots on his hind feet for trail rides and can also use them for a lost shoe.  They are quick and easy to put on, but can be a little heavy.

I will be much more careful looking for a breed or horse with great feet next time, but I am committed to keeping these guys that have so many other great qualities, comfortable and sound.  Dana in Kansas