msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR horse - barefoot vs. being shod

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR horse - barefoot vs. being shod
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:37:47 -0500

To summarize—It all comes down to the horse.  You do what it is needed to keep his feet sound because if you don’t you are walking home, perhaps leading a very unhappy horse as well.

For 20 some years I kept my mount in studded borium shoes because of the asphalt bike paths, rocks and shale.  When I had to take some time off the farrier just left the shoes off in pairs as they wore out.  In the mud of the paddocks he was fine for a while and the fronts are back on now.  When we go back to heavy work, hopefully this spring, we will watch his hooves for chipping and shoe as necessary.

Irv Lichtenstein