msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] SAR ends with body found in Georgia

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Susan Wright <owright@internetpro.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] SAR ends with body found in Georgia
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:46:01 -0600

Yes, Una, you brought out several points I thought were interesting and thought-provoking.

*The fact that law enforcement were sure they had done a thorough job, and were unwilling to listen to a veteran SAR professional.  It just points out that all groups (LE, canine handlers, aircraft, volunteers...) MUST work together to get the job done.

*Also the location of his body being pretty much where instinct tells you it should be.

* I also agree that horses and ATV's wouldn't have been able to negotiate the private property fences. Another situation where even mounted searchers would have to go on foot.

A side note: the cause of death was ruled a suicide.  Tim Miller was there at the request of a friend, Beth Holloway, the mother of a teen still missing in Aruba, who was acquainted with the boy's family.
Susan in AL