msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] equine influenza

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: MSAR <msar@ibiblio.org>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] equine influenza
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 18:56:35 -0400

Andrew Hennell wrote:
>with Equine Influenza arriving in Australia, and being (semi) contained
>for now - i was wondering what your experiences with EI is over there.
>
>Are vaccinations effective?

The general expert opinion is that current vaccines (developed against
older strains of EI) are still somewhat effective.

>Are there ongoing implications living with EI?

No. Like influenza in other animals and humans, infection is of short
duration. An acute infection confers good immunity to the virus,
provided future exposures are to the same strain or a similar strain.

>How often are bad strains and lock-downs occurring?

According to http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=10537, the
strain in Australia now is the common strain in circulation worldwide,
not anything new. So current vaccines in use elsewhere should be
very effective in Australia. Also, the strain has very low mortality;
many horse owners do not vaccinate and there are few or no quarantine
orders.

One reason not to vaccinate is to increase the probability of infection
with the current strain, and hence develop the best possible immunity.
This strategy works well for owners of recreational use horses, where
loss of use for a few weeks is not a financial disaster for the owner.

>Do you need to travel with vaccination passports, etc.?

Yes, but not for EI. In the United States, with few exceptions, horses
can be transported across state borders only with written proof of
(1) no current acute infectious disease and (2) no antibody response to
Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA), a virus not related to Equine Influenza.
In some parts of the US a passport system is in use; in other parts it
is necessary to obtain a certificate from a veterinarian before travel.
The certificate normally is good for 30 days.

I keep my horse's transportation papers in the truck together with the
truck's vehicle registration card and proof of insurance.

>Australia has been free from nasty things for ever - now EI may be here
>(if not contained), we're going to have to learn a whole new way of
>doing things.

There is life after outbreaks. ;-)

Mounted Search and Rescue
http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/