msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Injury research

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "David Jacobs" <davej850@hotmail.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Injury research
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:05:39 -0400

http://www.superseer.com/helmets_mounted.asp

What about mounted patrol helmets? What exactly is the "Horseback riding standard F-1163-88" that they refer to in the information section?

David Jacobs

From: una.smith@att.net
To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 18:40:23 +0000

Re helmet fit, there are a lot of helmets on the market now with dial adjustment systems, some flexible ones so that head shape is less of an issue. I think the manufacturers and retailers like this because it means the helmet model can be made and stocked in fewer sizes. I still prefer a low tech, close fitting helmet, but this requires the helmet be manufactured in many sizes. When I bought my favorite schooling helmet (no longer manufactured), the salesperson checked the fit on me then took it into the back to go on a machine that reshaped it slightly.

Re helmet shopping, see http://www.seinet.org/CPL/astm1163_04a.htm for a list of all equestrian riding helmet models certified by SEI. The list includes links to product websites, where known; if you need help finding others, contact Prue Welsh (her contact info at top of the list).

I have had great success buying hard-to-fit gear online. I'd find a dealer who will send a selection, with the understanding that you will return everything that doesn't fit, in original condition.

Stay safe,