msar-riders - [MSAR] Injury research

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Injury research
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 09:00:43 -0700

Interesting study on The Horse- done over 10 years with 7,941 subjects. Thought it was relevant to our 'hobby'. I've included a few quotes to whet your appetite.
Chris Pennington

The most common injuries were sustained to the chest (54%) and head (48%), and 45% of the patients required surgery.

The average patient was male, 47-years-old, had 27 years of riding experience, and was riding Western.

"We are very surprised to see the experience of the badly injured riders and their mounts," said Robert Mulloy, MD, FRCSC. "Calgary has a lot of money and there are hundreds of expensive and rarely ridden horses. We expected that they would have been the cause of the injuries and they were not."

full story at http://www.thehorse.com/viewarticle.aspx?ID=9778