msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Rescue equipemt on monted search

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Rescue equipemt on monted search
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 18:10:47 -0500

Mine are from Weaver in orange cordura. Each side bag has 2 compartments,
zippered, closed towards aft, and the cantle has a center open with a flap
over the zipper. They are actually a little thinner on the side bags than
the first set I had (still have in fact) and have four straps, top and
bottom on each side, forward edge of side bag. There is also a D ring where
the side and cantle bags join at a web/canvas strip which is a breakaway--
the bags are stitched to it.

The contents are fairly static-- cantle has rain gear, orange vest, yellow
blanket, set of disposable cervical collars, OB kit, chain lead, and
carrots. Sometimes extra water. One side carries a first aid kit-- trauma
pads, tape, 4x4, vet wrap, Ace bandages, Velcro straps, adhesive bandages,
cuff and stethoscope, ladder splints, 6 pairs of blue nitrile gloves, pocket
mask, tubes of glucose, bug dope, bug bite stuff, sun block, spare
eyeglasses. The outer compartment on that side has a generic multi-knife, a
whistle, spare keys, and park maps. I usually put my phone, spare radio
batteries, EMT card, etc. in a baggie in the first aid kit. A Mini-Mag is
there as well, and some small strobes like those on a lifevest.

The other side carries a poncho, garbage bags, a neck rope, a lead, a
halter, one of those nylon straps designed to hold your saddle in place
while you climb on, hoof picks, work gloves, a watch cap in orange, fence
pliers, 2 folding saws, pruning shears/anvil cutter, raw hide laces, and
often either two bottled waters and a 1.5 liter Nalgene wide mouth, frozen.
Also a coil of yellow boat rope, 100 feet, for throwing rescues.

On the pommel/horn there are up to 4 bicycle type water bottles, 2 of which
can be one liter or so, usually stored frozen in the summer.
I wear a whistle and a compass, a park system radio and sometimes a county
trunk radio (depends on where we are). Chaps, high pull on boots (Dehner),
a Troxel EQ (white with added red and white reflective tape), long sleeves,
a sweatshirt or jacket as weather requires. Being prone to frostbite I tend
to wear insulated clothes, Goretex linings, and polypropelene liners, but
almost always with jeans as outside surface to take the beating.

The horse's pads are Cool Backs- made of Kodel wicking material.

I have found that Velcro closures on pockets or saddle bags come open at
awkward times so I always use zippered pockets to hold things.

In the truck are spares-- extra disposable blankets, wound powders, grooming
equipment, fly sprays, battery chargers, 5 pounds of carrots, a cooler,
cloth blankets and a one time use sleeping bag, oxygen set up, more collars
and a fanny pack first aid kit, 1200 feet of 11 MM climbing rope, a supply
of climbing hardware (carabeiners, pulleys, ascenders, brake rack, etc),
spare halters, leads, hand tools, bottle jack, 4x4, flares, a feed pan, and
a 5 gallon bucket with an electric fence charger in it. I also keep my
saddlebags, helmets, and chaps in the truck. The trailer has 3 15 gallon
plastic drums for water, flatback buckets,4-4x4's and a 12 x12, and spares
for the trailer.

The most important thing I take on the road is my membership in US Rider for
road service.