msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Rescue equipemt on monted search

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Rescue equipemt on monted search
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 18:29:42 -0500

You have to differentiate between a task team, 2 or more riders searching,
patrolling, carrying out a specific mission and the overall response team.
Individual equipment is usually generic- one day's food, water, map,
compass, etc. Task specific equipment is usually unique to the task: a
Stokes litter for instance. Base equipment is designed to support the
entire effort. A generator allows you to recharge radio batteries, operate a

satcom link, run power tools for vehicle repairs or to pump water or fuel if
needed. It also eliminates the need to have flammable fuels around the
horses, feed or hay stocks in the form of lanterns.

The level of equipment depends on what you do, how you do it, and where you
do it. There may be even more than 3 levels of differentiation. In our
response area there are multiple field command/communication trucks ranging
from an SUV with a tactical repeater through 45 foot motor coach chassis
with mini-ATV's in the baggage compartments. There are 5 civilian medical
helicopters, 6 police combination units, and even the city now has 3 FLIR
and TV equipped patrol birds. We also have a reserve base in our area with
an aviation battalion and other assets. There are 93 fire companies in our
home county, around 40 EMS providers, and 3 certified HAZMAT Teams.

This means our levels are basically what our members bring in their horse
trailers, organization level brings 10 radios, chargers, and spare batteries
for the parks and forests system, and 2 more for the county trunk system.
The parks and forests system is still 150 MHZ and the radios are cheap, The
county trunk units cost almost $5,000 each. Almost anything else we might
need we can telephone for from an agency or contractor. This includes
portable facilities, fuel, water, canteen trucks (3 volunteer services) or
technical support, including an Incident Support Team. And we are second due
in all cases so the agency we are supporting foots the bills.

In your area you might have to do it all yourself. You might not have to
set up a camp but be able to use some ranch facility as a headquarters. We
have to worry that a subject might leave the area by getting on a bus or a
commuter train, not very common elsewhere perhaps.

Examine what your missions have been and what was used or what could have
made life easier. Build on the individual list first. It is the most basic,
cheapest per item, but most important. Then build the task list starting
with common elements, such as radios, and building add ons as needed. Base
camp or HQ support is last. First, you can arrange for base support from
another agency or organization. Let the Red Cross or Salvation Army do your
cooking for you. You cannot realistically be able to everything every time
you are dispatched.