msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Sanctioning Bodies

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: VirgBrowntoo@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Sanctioning Bodies
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 20:09:39 EDT

In a message dated 5/13/2007 1:18:27 PM Central Daylight Time, ilichten1@verizon.net writes:
Our unit policy is to wear head and eye protection while riding on official
business.  There are a lot of Western riders in this area who prefer
traditional headgear and are reluctant to volunteer if a helmet rule is
enforced.  But they are coming around as long as the decision is theirs to
make.  We offer bonus points for helmets at all fundraisers, which are not
timed events.
Most interesting, Irv. But I'd like to know what effect the helmets have concerning heat. As you know, 80% of the body's heat escapes through the skin and 20% of that is through the head. I would imagine that your riders are using vented helmets, but is that enough to stave off an increase in body heat? Or have you compensated for body heat in some other way?

Virg

See what's free at AOL.com.