msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Sanctioning Bodies

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Sanctioning Bodies
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 21:38:23 -0500

You dress for the weather.  In the winter we add an inner liner or baklava under a vented helmet, in the summer no liner.  We have had no problems with “overheating” due to helmet wearing, just bad hair.  Some who wear other brands in the summer which have solid headpieces have worse hair than others.  Right now 90% of our riders are female and all wear helmets routinely, a couple also ride motorcycles with full coverage helmets.  We carry lots of drinking water as well.

More important than your comfort, since you can verbally communicate, is your horse’s tolerance to heat and high humidity.  As a guideline you should check your horse’s normal P&R against his signs during or after a task, or check his skin temperature which generally should be 107F or less under the saddle pad.  Other considerations are to add the air temperature in F to the relative humidity on % and begin work reduction and hydration increases if they add to 155 or more, eg: 80F plus 80% = 160.  This will vary a little with horse breed and conditioning.  I would expect horses kept in the southwest have developed a higher heat tolerance than in SE PA where we get great swings in temperature during a season.

Irv Lichtenstein