msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Sanctioning Bodies

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Sanctioning Bodies
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 20:40:51 -0700

Most interesting, Irv. But I'd like to know what effect the helmets have concerning heat. As you know, 80% of the body's heat escapes through the skin and 20% of that is through the head. I would imagine that your riders are using vented helmets, but is that enough to stave off an increase in body heat? Or have you compensated for body heat in some other way?

Hi, I'm not Irv but I ride in some pretty toasty situations (100+F). This is what I have found out- the helmet is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter than my cowboy hats. I think it's because of the thickness of the insulation. In the summer the venting is enough to allow a cool breeze to blow through- although I do lift the helmet off at breaks (just like I do with a cowboy hat.). In the winter it is MUCH warmer. I have put a knit ski cap on over it when the wind and temps combined dropped to below 0 but otherwise it is fine. I've actually found it to be more comfortable temperature wise, than a cowboy hat of any kind. Does this help?

Chris Pennington