msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Starting MSAR in Georgia

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Starting MSAR in Georgia
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 07:55:56 -0400

Guy Wood wrote:
>I am not concerned with how many call-outs will occur. If it is only
>one real call a year I would be fine with that.

You may be fine with that but many SAR responders are not. Lack
of sufficient callouts is easily the most common (de)motivator
mentioned by people here who are trying to start new units or to
keep small units going.

>My real concern is what is "required" for training, membership in national
>organizations, etc., that will make the MSAR team legitimate to area LE
>agencies.

For that, you really need to talk to other SAR units in Georgia!

>From what I have found on the web, MSAR in Georgia is primarily
a posse deal, and the posses are barely (if at all) affiliated
with county sheriff's offices. The organizational and political
dynamics of that situation are a recurring theme on MSAR-Riders.

Given that, I would focus on talking to NON-mounted SAR units in
Georgia. Canine teams, communications support teams, folks like
that.