msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Starting MSAR in Georgia

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Guy Wood" <guy.wood@gmail.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Starting MSAR in Georgia
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 22:03:57 -0400

Irv,

I will try to cover both posts that you made in regards to starting an MSAR.

I know that there is a need for this type of service; however, I am not
concerned with how many call-outs will occur. If it is only one real call a
year I would be fine with that. The terrain is mostly rolling to flat and
is conducive to mounted access, especially the Wildlife Management Areas,
where most people get lost.

The money aspect of starting this up is not a concern from the formation
standpoint. I have three companies and am very familiar with the paperwork,
although I have never filed for a non-profit. I know there are companies
that handle non-profit setups and I will handle that financially; however, I
will not buy everyone's equipment.

Having served in the military for several years, I know how to set up alert
rosters, maintain information, fill out reports, and conduct training (i.e.,
map reading, navigation, tracking).

My real concern is what is "required" for training, membership in national
organizations, etc., that will make the MSAR team legitimate to area LE
agencies. I have a lady with DNR Law Enforcement that is interested in
doing it, so that will help from the state standpoint, but the sheriffs'
offices are more of the concern. I know about the CPR/First Aid
requirements, but I am trying to develop a task list that looks beyond that.

Thanks,
GW