msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] New Mexico MSAR loss of a horse

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] New Mexico MSAR loss of a horse
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 07:06:38 -0400

Marie Lester wrote:
>Please address response #2 in more detail. What would be the better
>turning option? Rear to the wall? I assume that is because the horse
>can then see the soft or minimal space in front of him/her?

The horse needs to swing out over the void, possibly with its rump
pressing against the wall. I would hate to do this the first time
on a new horse in the Pecos Wilderness! Train for it on the side
of a small erosion ditch. The horse does not need to see anything;
it needs to fit its body into a semi-confined space.

>Also, would one NEVER expect a horse to react, or is it that you are
>expecting a "spook in place"? Even humans startle until they learn
>that the stimulus is manageable.

I would expect any horse to startle on occasion. Even to become
very frightened. But panic is quite another kind of reaction, one
where the reasoning brain stops and instinct takes over.

To me, a spook is a startle involving a whole-body viceral reaction.
Bolting and panicing are discrete other reactions. In my book, a
startle or spook in place is acceptable and allowable. A spook and
*bolt*, although it falls short of a full panic, can be dangerous.
Bolting is not allowable. A full blown panic is extremely dangerous.

Note that in my list of contributing factors re the trail accident,
the outcome depended on all 3 factors. But, had Huey succeeded in
turning around to face Airy and her rider, the outcome could have
been far worse. Where was he going to go? Probably between Airy
and the wall, and maybe pushing Airy and her rider into the void.

>Our unit is assisting the county sheriff's dept in parking lot patrol
>for a week long county fair.

I hate parking lot detail. Not because it stresses the horses but
because vehicle drivers can be so inattentive and a moving vehicle
so deadly. The noise, lights, darkness, and general chaos are well
within many horses' potential comfort zone. It may take work to
get the horse there, but graduated exposure helps.