msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Team Size

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Team Size
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 16:19:17 -0700

ALLEN SNYDER wrote:

In field work on foot we try to keep the team to no less than 4
persons if possible. Does this also apply to MSAR?

We like three in most instances. Four is also fine. We've found that unless the terrain is relatively flat and we are doing a grid search more than 4 in our area is not the best use of resources. For instance in the search we just did they deployed two mounted groups- one of 8 and one of 9. On the narrow trails we were riding the extra riders could not be effective searchers and might have been better used to cover more territory. Where, when, and how many mounted to deploy is an issue that we are working on - education as to capabilities, and limitations, is the goal.

Chris Pennington