msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] New Mexico loss of a horse

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] New Mexico loss of a horse
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 15:26:29 -0400

ALLEN SNYDER wrote:
>In field work on foot we try to keep the team to no less than 4
>persons if possible. Does this also apply to MSAR?

Sometimes. The best use of SAR resources often dictates field teams
of 2 or 3 people. But that depends on the specific people involved,
the specific task assignment, and other circumstances.

Given a good to so-so trail in very challenging terrain, a field
team larger than 2 might have made the accident far worse. Also,
a larger field team would have been safer only if the additional
resources had as much relevant experience as Carolyn and her mare.