msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] New Mexico MSAR loss of a horse

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] New Mexico MSAR loss of a horse
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 18:44:05 -0400

It also may not matter that the horse has seen the "thing" before. Due to
the long heat wave around here we had not been in the Park for some time and
when a bike racer came around a blind corner with brakes squealing my mount,
who rarely reacts to bicycles with other than disdain, decided it was time
to leave. He got about 90 degrees to the original direction of travel before
we stopped the turn (to the right by the way) and he saw the idiot. I had
not paid any attention to the bike as I was concentrating on the horse and
rider behind picking up clues and tracks on trail. Tunnel vision.

And always turn towards the outside (away from a fixed obstacle) so you can
see what's up and don't back off the cliff.