msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 36, Issue 18

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 36, Issue 18
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:25:39 -0500

It is not just preservation of a scene that is important. When searchers
move through an area they leave their own tracks/hoof prints/tire tracks.
Most of the time hasty teams move down existing trails. Many mounted tasks
try to stay on or near trails because that is where the clues usually are.
This results in inadvertent destruction of what ever clues were there first
in some cases.
Moving alongside a trail may prevent you from stepping on a track on the
trail but what about other clues? It is impossible to move through an area
and not make somebody angry that you stepped on something. The primary
difference between a foot searcher and a mounted is that horseshoes are
easily distinguishable from people shoes and a mounted can easily move
through areas people may avoid. Tires tend wipe out everything especially
the wide soft tires on ATV's. The tires on bicycles tend to rut the surface,
distorting the surface.

We have to train alongside a trail as well as in the middle where we often
ride to avoid ecological damage.