msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 36, Issue 18

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: porleslie@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 36, Issue 18
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:00:34 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Santafearabians@aol.com
To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
Sent: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:24:29 EST

Hello Folks,

On the evidence destruction problem. One way to promote your unit with your
Sheriff's Office or any Police agency is to do what I did this last Spring.
Invite the agencies chief of dectative or his appointed person to one of
your
business meetings. Request this officer to give a talk about evidence
protection. He/she can also talk about evidence gathering if you have to.
Believe me
this helps to verify any past information you have given your unit And word
certainly gets back through the agency you are trying to do good things and
how educated you are. We found it is a good idea to carry barrier tape and a
few surveyer small metal stakes in your saddle bags. The tape is to mark off
crime or suspected crime scene area and the metal stakes to stick in ground
to mark evidence or other.

Regards,
Al Hale, Jackson County Mo. Sheriff's Mounted Posse Search Team

Ab taylor used to refer ATV's as track erasers in his "Mantracking Course.
A tire print wlil destroy an entire track while a horse may mar an
occasional footprint
anyone who favors ATV's in SAR obviously hasn't spent much time in the field