msar-riders - [MSAR] Negative comments on MSAR / MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 36, Issue 18

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Negative comments on MSAR / MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 36, Issue 18
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:16:47 -0800

From: "Lauri Struve" <lauris10@earthlink.net>
[...] I'm
wondering if anyone else is hearing that someone is basically badmouthing
MSAR and telling the agencies not to use horses.
Lauri

I haven't heard anything broad scope as a source. This kind of comment / rumor can come from a variety of sources within the SAR community, but I suspect it is a local source wherever this occurs. It may be individuals who somehow feel threatened and want to "protect" their position in SAR, it may somehow be personal, it may simply be based on ignorance, or - in the instance of a poorly trained local MSAR unit - may have some foundation as a legitimate complaint.

The best way I know to counter this kind of accusation is to ensure the local MSAR has quality recognized training in both SAR and MSAR, good standards and documentation, and make an ongoing effort to train jointly with others. Building strong working relationships with others in SAR - including management - will clearly demonstrate capabilities and professionalism and give local "Don't use MSAR" no valid ammunition.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar