msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Hobbles

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "philip easley" <easleyranch@foothill.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Hobbles
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:08:37 -0800

When we hobble our horses and mules out to graze we do casually watch them.
If they think we are watching, they will behave. When they think we are not
looking , they will disappear. This problem seems to become less when you
go on a trip where you break camp and pack to another location periodically
without going back to the truck. I have had some that were good and would
go out and graze. They would go to water and go back to grazing. Mules
like to have a safe place to rest and sleep. Often times, they would come
back to their tie out spot and stand there and go to sleep when they are
finished eating. I have a bad problem with snoring. I had a horse and mule
that would stay in camp. I turned them out to graze hobbled at night and
the next morning, I would wake with them standing over my tent. I think the
snoring made them feel secure with the critters out there. Overall, I feel
better if my stock is highlined when I am not supervising them.
Philip Easley
NCSSAR