msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mules

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "philip easley" <easleyranch@foothill.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mules
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:57:01 -0800

I am catching up since I got back and do not know if anyone had already
wrote this. On the Hobbles. We do not just use hobbles to graze the horses
and mules. I also use a high line. My mules can run about 30 mph with
hobbles on. I have to use three way hobbles to keep them from leaving if
they have a mind to. We also use the hobbles to keep the lead horse in one
place when fixing a problem with a pack string when there is no tree to tie
to. The string is tied off to the lead horse. The hobbles are also used
when you have a horse or mule that is tied off to the high line or tree and
they will not stop pawing.
Philip Easley
NCSSAR