msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR in TN

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "philip easley" <easleyranch@foothill.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR in TN
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 12:59:53 -0800

Another consideration on response time is the speed of the searchers. A
foot searcher travels at between 1/2 to 1 1/2 MPH. Horses and Mules travel
at between 3 and 5 MPH at a walk. If they are in a hurry, they jog at
speeds of up to 15 mph for miles without totally wiping our sign on the
trail (provided you do not sent more than two down each trail) as foot
searchers, ATVs and motorcycles do. Often time MSAR will catch up with
other searchers that arrive and are deployed ahead of them.
Phil Easley
NCSSAR
Nevada City, Ca.