msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR in TN

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR in TN
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 12:38:42 -0800

From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
It also depends on how large the
area is. Generally more than 90 minutes travel time added to an hour or more
to get on the road with horses makes for too long a response for many local
agencies.

Good info, Irv. I agree with all except for the travel estimate. We *commonly* respond with 3 hours of travel, sometimes more ... and still remain within our own county. And that is the Hasty Team traveling at speed to set up the CP and send the first wave of SAR folks out into the backcountry. Mounted might haul 4 hours or longer to get to the CP. But our county is the size of CT and climbs from valley floor to Mt Whitney, and the vast majority of our SAR is steep mountain wilderness, so we're dealing with twisting mountain roads for most of our call-outs.

So, much depends on the terrain, type of road, and the size of the agency's operational area. There is also the potential of Mutual Aid response to consider. Folks might be expected to travel your suggested 90 minutes, or several hours, depending on their local situation.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar