msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR "equipment" costs

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR "equipment" costs
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:22:32 -0700

Counting my labor as worth $0, horse expenses for 2005 will be
$1700. I keep one horse in a county-owned stables self-board
situation. It is just over 1 mile away as the crow flies but
on another mesa 10-15 minutes drive away. (I live on the skirt
of a volcano.) The nearest conventional boarding outfit is 30
minutes away and starts at about $400/month.

Tow vehicle and trailer expenses were $1900. That includes no
depreciation, since I bought them used. 1987 3/4 ton Suburban
and 2000 CM 2-horse bp stock-combo. Here in NM living quarter
trailers are very popular but not practical for MSAR simply
because most incident bases are a long way off paved roads and
getting in and out can be difficult with any kind of trailer.

My SAR expenses were $500, despite responding on only one SAR
mission this year (I am now "staying at home" with a toddler).
All these costs were for training that I received or gave, or
for community development work.