msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR "equipment" costs

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR "equipment" costs
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:10:36 -0500

My tax accountant says costs associated being a member of a tax exempt
501(c)(3) organization are deductible as in kind donations or as cash
donations. I simply list the organization name and the total outlay for the
year as a donation. This includes only specific costs for training (both
you and the horse), or any official duty event, missions, a proportion of
costs for travel, equipment, food and accommodation while training or on a
real mission, etc.

If you ride for recreation keep track of the hours recreating and the hours
MSARing. Truck and trailer are mileage based usually unless the vehicle is
exclusively used for MSAR. If you bought a vehicle for business and used
section 179 (capital equipment) you can't deduct twice. You can deduct a
proportion of the costs of horsekeeping based on the proportion used for
charitable activities versus personal pleasure activities. This would
include shoes, vets, feed or board, and so forth. That is why it is
important to know what costs what.

Irv Lichtenstein