msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR "equipment" costs

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Tm' Fi <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR "equipment" costs
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:41:47 -0500

I keep both of my horses here at home. I consider my horse cost separate from MSAR costs and the same goes for my equipment. My total average monthly horse related bills run about $400 and month for both of my guys.
For MSAR tasks, I use a western (double skirt) nylon saddle with extra D rings and a breast collar. Like most of the other TROT-SAR team members, I carry all items listed on the NASAR SAR Tech II suggested equipment list, plus some extra equine gear such as a lead line, hoof pick, picket line and an extra roll of vet wrap. I carry a VHF radio (155.160) , ham radio, cell phone and GPS. All members wear a reflective blaze orange vest (donated by the MD Horse Council) and helmet wear is mandatory (half the team also wears night lamps attached on their helmet). Most items listed on the "first aid" list are carried in a lumbar support hip pack and everything else is carry in my saddle bags or double horn bags. Total purchase cost of all my SAR gear is about $1800.00. I also have a new horse trailer with self-contained living quarters that doubles as our team base camp, which has been used as the ICP. I do not want to tell you what the truck and trailer cost, but I consider it worth having.
What ever you do, make sure to buy this best gear you can find.
Tomi`
TROT-SAR Mounted Team
State of Maryland
(also serving DC, DE, PA, VA, WV and southern NJ)