msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Help MSAR-Riders help ibiblio.org

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Help MSAR-Riders help ibiblio.org
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:22:14 -0700

Here is my own bit (sorry it has turned out so long); it has been
over a year since the last time I introduced myself on MSAR-Riders.

Una Smith

Webmaster

Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse

Based in Santa Fe, New Mexico, responding under authority of NM
State Police usually within 150 miles of our base, and recognized
state-wide.

Current active membership is about 12 (not fixed).

We are recruiting, and the MSAR website has helped potential new
members discover we exist and contact us. In fact, some queries
on MSAR-Riders indicate that persons interested in volunteering
with a mounted SAR unit sometimes consider the local availability
of MSAR units when deciding to relocate across the country.

Due to our current small membership, we usually respond with only
two teams, each of 2 (usually 3) or more riders. But thanks in
large part to MSAR-Riders, I think our skill level and awareness
of our role in SAR has improved significantly, making our teams
far more effective. Without doubt, MSAR-Riders has given us a far
clearer picture of how we fit into the larger SAR community here
in New Mexico, and beyond New Mexico as well.

Incorporated in 1941, we are one of the older sheriff's posses
still in existence. As a rule, sheriff's posses are far older
than most SAR units, so for historical reasons we tend to have
several features that are not typical of other types of SAR
unit. These features include significant assets (primarily real
estate), often complex relationships with local law enforcement
agencies, and traditional ceremonial and/or social roles in our
local communities (production of town rodeos, participation in
parades and rodeos, etc.). Here too, MSAR-Riders has given us
many opportunities to compare and contrast ourselves to others,
and learn much about ourselves in the process.