msar-riders - [MSAR] Field Communications

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Field Communications
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 23:52:30 -0700

Chris, I must confess I just had a big chuckle. Your description gave me a
wild mental image series of Morse Code-like messages being honked out on an
air horn while people at both ends scrambled to read the cheat sheet cards
to translate the code. In confusion and frustration all reference cards were
then used for fire starter and the communication method switched to puffs of
smoke that drifted in the wind so nobody understood. The method then
switched to drumming on logs. But nobody could translate the drum code
because all the air horn code cheat sheets had been used for fire starter.
;)

I'm told I was born with a mind that works in mysterious ways ... LOL!

Consider trying to set up people in radio relay positions when you know
you'll have people down in canyons where they won't be able to get out with
radios. This is something to be discussed in advance with the IC during
mission assignments when you see the topo map indicating radio dead zones.
;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA