msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Predatory animals / Guns in SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Predatory animals / Guns in SAR
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:57:07 -0700

Excellent post Jorene. <G>

Three questions-
1.what does your unit carry for snake bite? We carry epiniphrine but
nothing else as many of the antivenom are not only expensive and need
refrigeration but this last couple of years they are scarce enough that
just getting ahold of them is difficult.

2. What are everyone's thoughts on using an airhorn (small aerosol can)
in the field? Since noise is a potential way to scare off predators as
well as a valuable way to alert others on the team in non-radio op areas
I'm interested in brain storming the pros and cons.

3. What are everyone's thoughts on carrying pepper spray or mace? This
issue has been raised by several of our women members as the potential
for encountering less than cooperative two legged predators in our area
exists. Could it also be used on animals in an emergency (ie attack
mode)?

Thanks,
Chris