msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Guns in SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Guns in SAR
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:08:50 -0700

From: "Una Smith" <una@lanl.gov>
> where to pack or carry a gun safely while riding,

Got distracted by other issues and neglected to respond to this one!

Personal opinion is if I'm packing a weapon during a SAR, I want it
accessible. And I'd want it on my person, not tucked away on the saddle or
in a saddle bag. This also addresses safety issues for having immediate
control of the weapon at all times - wherever you go, the gun goes with you.
But during a SAR - particularly a Wilderness SAR - people tend to carry a
lot of gear in an assortment of packs, vests, etc., and the traditional
holster at the waist isn't likely to be a viable option, nor is the shoulder
holster. And a boot / ankle holster for a small handgun won't be comfortable
for many people long term.

One viable option is the special fanny pack that has a hidden compartment in
the back for a hand gun. This is used by some officers for an off-duty
weapon in summer when a holster is more difficult to conceal. Other items
(wallet, keys, CPR shield and gloves, etc.) can be stored in other fanny
pack compartments, increasing the usefulness. The fanny pack is worn angled
off to the side to not interfere when in the saddle. If this pack fits in
with carrying other gear, it is a more discreet method of being armed, yet
readily available when you need it. This would be considered a concealed
weapon, and the person should have proper authorization to carry a concealed
handgun in that jurisdiction.

If you've run out of room around your waist / hips, look into the cordura
nylon holster rig that is extended from your waist belt so the holster can
be strapped onto the thigh. This is the kind of holster setup worn by many
SWAT / tactical team personnel. For increased safety and weather
protection - and a bit more discretion - consider a holster with a full flap
(military style) to completely enclose the handgun. If a visible weapon in a
holster is authorized or preferred, this method is practical both for ground
teams and riders.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA