msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: helmets in MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: helmets in MSAR
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 22:57:11 -0800

From: "David C. Kovar" <kovar@1srg.org>
>I have a brim that attaches via velcro for my swiftwater helmet and could
easily go onto a Petzl helmet. I've also worn a normal baseball cap under
the helmet as well. <

I have one of those visors for my swiftwater helmet, too, and have worn a
ballcap under that helmet. Since I wear glasses having a visor of some kind
helps keep the spray off the lenses. But that is insufficient brim (for me)
if I'm going to be out all day.

We have Swiftwater Safety and Fundamental Rescue Methods on the calendar for
countywide SAR training in April in conjunction with the SWR refresher
training just prior to Memorial Day weekend, when we position teams in the
typical "someone in the water needs help" river areas. We have the Kern
River and Kaweah River in our county, along with some smaller rivers, open
aqueducts and large irrigation canals. I have a 10 minute response from home
to the closest cluster of problem areas on the Kaweah just above the dam.
But that is in the process of changing - they're raising the height of the
dam and the entire look of the Kaweah feeding the reservoir will change.

> I'd prefer my Stetson for all around shade protection, though. They tend
frown on ground pounders wearing Stetsons and oilskin coats, though. <

How many groundpounders do you know who would *want* to hike for miles in
oilskin full length dusters? ;)

A wide brim hat can come in handy for groundpounders doing man tracking -
sometimes blocking a sun angle can make things more visible. A friend of
mine who is the lead man tracker in his county, an instructor, etc., wears a
fedora.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA