msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: helmets in MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: helmets in MSAR
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:43:13 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "David C. Kovar" <kovar@1srg.org>
> Our groundpounders are lobbying for the military "boonie" hat - wide,
floppy
brim. The traditional SAR baseball cap really leaves the neck exposed.<

Many of our groundpounders wear boonies and love them. I have a Gore-Tex
version of the booney hat from Austria for some winter use, complete with
microfleece lining. Very cozy, and the wind string (stampede string design)
means it won't leave my head unless I want it to. www.sierratradingpost.com
in the Gore-Tex hats section there are a couple of options if any of your
groundpounders are shopping for waterproof.

>I'd not want to tromp around for too long in the oilskins, but if someone
puts me out monitoring a trailhead or something similar, I'd be very happy
to have them!<

Exactly! I'll wear the oilskin duster instead of the breathable Gore-Tex
when I'm not doing something physical and need the breathability. Some of
our riders wear waterproof dusters with waterproof half-chaps or gaiters for
more rain protection.

> Joel Hardin of Universal Tracking Service is another tracker who's fond of
the fedora. It's an all around good hat. The brim is small enough that you
can wear a backpack without problem yet it still provides enough protection
for the neck from rain and most sun. <

I'm told my winter felt working hat looks more like a fedora than a cowboy
hat. I prefer the smaller brim even for my dress hats. ;)

Local experienced members of Backcountry Horsemen recommend a soft brim hat
for backcountry riding, which would also apply to Wilderness MSAR. The
softer brims are far less likely to snag on a low branch.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R